You can pay off your mortgage fast, in as little as 6 years. Maybe even in 4 years if your mortgage is less than average.
I know because we paid off ours quickly! We paid off our mortgage in our early 30s. And we weren’t living in a super cheap house either.
A median priced home in our area is $135k. Ours was $250k. We’re in a part of the country where $250k buys you a really nice, above average home. I recognize that’s not the case everywhere.
Anyhow, you can pay off your mortgage quickly if you’ll do one simple thing.
Yep, you need to move. 2-3 times in those 6 years to be exact.
You see, the IRS wants to give you a gift. I know it’s hard to believe. If you’ll buy a home, and live in it at least 2 years as your primary residence, you can sell it after 2 years and take up to $500k profit tax free for married couples. Did you hear the key words there? TAX FREE!
Are you kidding?!?!? Nope, it’s true (IRS Publication 523).
Here are the steps:
- Get a great deal on a home that needs some work
- Fully update the home while you live in it for 2 years (you can do the projects slowly since you have plenty of time)
- Sell it after 2 years at the top of the market
- Take the profit tax free and put all of that money down on your next house
- Do this 2-3 times and you can completely pay off a reasonably sized mortgage (if you're mortgage is larger, just keep doing it until it's paid off)
Can you imagine having no mortgage?
Think about what you could do with that extra money!